Rhode Island DUI Attorney
Experienced DUI Lawyer Serving the Tiverton, RI Area
When you have been charged with drunk driving (DWI/DUI) and/or refusal to submit to a chemical test or any other alcohol offense, your license and your liberty are in jeopardy.
For more than 30 years, Rhode Island DUI Attorney Humphrey has successfully handled both drunk driving and test refusal cases from both sides of the Rhode Island courtroom.
Attorney Humphrey is often asked to be a speaker for legal seminars throughout Rhode Island on matters related to DUI law and DUI defense. In fact, he is a founding member of the DUI Defense Lawyers Association (DUIDLA).
He is DUIDLA’s State Ambassador for Rhode Island.
You can trust him and his legal team with your DUI defense.
Why Choose Attorney Humphrey’s Firm for Your DUI Defense?
- 30 Years’ DUI Criminal Defense Experience
- Former Municipal Prosecutor and Special Prosecutor
- Highly Recommended by Past Clients in Rhode Island
- Numerous Publications and Lectures on Drunk Driving Cases
- Wrote Rhode Island's 2019 DUI Practice Manual which is used in courtrooms across the state of Rhode Island.
- Rhode Island's Trusted source for DUI Criminal Defense
- Selection for Super Lawyers® in DUI Defense
- In 2020, Attorney Humphrey conducted a DUI training seminar for the Rhode Island Public Defender's Office and the Rhode Island Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Has trained Rhode Island's leading DUI Attorneys
At this criminal defense law firm, you are more than a number-your criminal case will never be lost in the shuffle.
You can count on receiving the personal attention and tireless advocacy that you deserve from your DUI lawyer.
If you have been charged with a DUI in the state of RI, don’t hesitate to discover how the drunk driving attorneys at Law Offices of Robert H. Humphrey can help you defend your freedom and your future!
Attorney Humphrey Wrote the Book on Rhode Island DUI Law
Rhode Island DUI Attorney Humphrey has coauthored twenty articles that have been published in the Rhode Island Bar Journal on topics of drunk driving, refusal cases, and other charges.
One of his lectures, DUI: Beyond the Basics, was published as “Drunk Driving: Beyond the Basics” in the May/June 2010 edition of the Rhode Island Bar Journal.
One of his most recent articles, titled “Drunk Driving and Warrantless Blood Tests”, was published in the September/October 2014 edition of the Rhode Island Bar Journal.
As Rhode Island's DUI authority, Attorney Humphrey prepared the state's DUI Practice Manual: Drunk Driving: Detection, Prosecution, and Defense.
This resource is widely used by drunk driving lawyers in courtrooms throughout Rhode Island.
As both a former prosecutor and an experienced DUI defense lawyer, Attorney Humphrey has the rare qualifications and inside knowledge, you deserve to have on your side.
As a result of his knowledge of drunk driving and refusal cases, Attorney Humphrey has also been a frequent lecturer for the Rhode Island Bar Association and Washington County Bar Association, speaking to both prosecutors and criminal defense attorneys in Rhode Island. Its important to have an experienced drunk driving attorney on your side.
He has also lectured for the Rhode Island District Court Prosecutors Association, Rhode Island police departments, Roger Williams University School of Law, and other education programs.
Areas of Practice: DUI Defense
- If you or a family member has been charged with a DUI in Rhode Island, this firm offers superior legal services for any of the following defense matters:
- First offense DUI with a .08 to .09 BAC
- First offense DUI with a .10 to .14 BAC
- First offense DUI with a .15 or greater BAC
- Second offense DUI with a .08 to .14 BAC
- Second offense DUI with a .15 or greater BAC
- Third or subsequent offense DUI
- Underage DUI
- Out of State DUI/DWI/OUI
- First offense Refusal To Submit to a Chemical Test
- Second offense Refusal To Submit to a Chemical Test
- First offense DUI resulting in Serious Bodily Injury
- Second or subsequent offense DUI resulting in Serious Bodily Injury
- First offense DUI resulting in Death
- Second or subsequent offense DUI resulting in Death
- First or subsequent offense Driving While in Possession of a Controlled Substance
- First offense Driving While Impaired
- Second or subsequent offense Driving While Impaired
- First or subsequent offense Reckless Driving
Rhode Island has serious penalties that come along with a DUI conviction. You need to place your freedom and your future in competent hands.
Let Attorney Robert H. Humphrey’s reputation, experience, and skill guide you through the legal process. With this knowledgeable criminal defense lawyer by your side, you significantly increase your chances of success for your DUI case.
You Don’t Have to Plead Guilty! Call an Experienced DUI Attorney Serving Rhode Island
Have you been charged with driving under the influence of liquor or drugs, refusal to submit to a chemical test, and/or a DUI resulting in serious bodily injury or death?
Then you must appear before both the district and superior criminal courts as well as before the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal.
Don’t risk facing incarceration, hefty fines, probation, license suspension, community service, and other penalties.
Don’t walk into the Rhode Island courtroom feeling unprepared.
With a Rhode Island DUI attorney from the Law Offices of Robert H. Humphrey, you can be confident that you are as prepared as possible against the prosecution.
Get aggressive criminal defense of your rights and freedoms. Contact a distinguished DUI attorneyor give us a call for your free case evaluation.
Is a DUI a Misdemeanor in Rhode Island?
Pursuant to Rhode Island General Laws 31-27-2 (drunk driving statute) states whoever drives or otherwise operates any vehicle in the state while under the influence of any intoxicating liquor, drugs... or any combination of these, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
How is a DUI Determined?
For the Prosecution to successfully prove a DUI case in Rhode Island against a suspected drunk driver, the State must establish the following:
- That there was reasonable suspicion to stop the suspected drunk driver's vehicle, which is usually based on traffic infractions. Anonymous tips alone that a driver may be operating his/her vehicle while intoxicated is not enough for a valid vehicle stop.
- That the suspected drunk driver was operating a vehicle. Operation of the vehicle is often an issue in accident cases.
- That probable cause existed to arrest the suspected drunk driver. Probable cause to arrest is based on the police officer's observations of the suspect's driving, the indicia of alcohol, and most importantly the suspect's performance during the administration of the standardized field sobriety tests. Any deviation in the administration of the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration ("NHTSA") standardized field sobriety tests may result in these tests becoming inadmissible as evidence.
- That the suspected drunk driver was under the influence of intoxicating liquor and/or drugs to a degree which rendered him/her incapable of safely operating a vehicle. The State can prove that an operator of a vehicle was under the influence of liquor and/or drugs by use of either chemical test results and/or observation testimony. There are numerous requirements that the State must comply with before chemical test results or observation testimony is admissible.
- That the suspected drunk driver was afforded a reasonable opportunity to have a physical examination by a physician selected by him/her pursuant to R.I.G.L. 31-27-3.
The Law Offices of Robert H. Humphrey provides legal advice and guidance to clients facing drunk charges throughout Rhode Island.
Please contact our firm immediately to schedule a free case consultation with our skilled Rhode Island DUI lawyers who will fight hard to protect your rights.
How Our Experienced Drunk Driving Attorney Can Help
The Law Offices of Robert H. Humphrey is proudly serving clients throughout the entire State of Rhode Island (RI) including Bristol County (Barrington, Bristol, Warren), Kent County (Coventry, East Greenwich, Warwick, West Greenwich, West Warwick), Newport County (Jamestown, Little Compton, Middletown, Newport, Portsmouth, Tiverton), Providence County (Burrillville, Central Falls, Cranston, Cumberland, East Providence, Foster, Glocester, Johnston, Lincoln, North Providence, North Smithfield, Pawtucket, Providence, Scituate, Smithfield, Woonsocket), Washington County (Charlestown, Exeter, Hopkinton, Narragansett, New Shoreham, North Kingstown, Richmond, South Kingstown, Westerly) and Southeastern Massachusetts (MA) (New Bedford, North Dartmouth, Dartmouth, Westport, Fall River, Swansea, Somerset, Taunton, North Attleboro, Attleboro).
Call (401) 816-5862for your FREE consultationwith a Rhode Island DUI lawyer!
"Thank you for the wonderful way you handled my Westerly DUI case. I was very scared when I was charged with a DUI with readings over .15. However, I knew you were the right man for the job when you picked up the phone on a Sunday and put my mind at ease. Thank you so much for everything you did for me!"
We’ll Evaluate Your Case for Free
Let us explain your options. We offer initial consultations at no charge to you. Call (401) 441-5486 or email us today.